Friday 18 November 2016

Checking local sites

On Wednesday, I found myself with a bit of free time during daylight hours (something which is unusual at this time of year given the short days), so I suggested to my wee boy that we go "feed the ducks". This, of course, is code for check for ringed gulls!

I particularly wanted to see if there was any sign of the German bird which I caught and colour-ringed last winter (see here), so we headed off to check a couple of local sites where it might turn up.

Our first stop was the seafront at Whitehead, where there was small flock of roosting birds present. Mostly Black-headed Gulls but also several Herring Gulls and a single Common Gull.

No rings seen, but I was able to have a play with the camera and try to get some nice shots.







Next stop was Carrick Harbour, where there wasn't a gull to be seen! Swiftly moving on to Carrick Mills Ponds where I had caught and ringed the bird. Usually there is quite a significant flock of Black-headed Gulls here, especially at high tide which coincided with our visit. Strangely however, there was only 6-7 gulls present which grew to around 20 once we started feeding. 














Again, no rings seen but we did manage to get acquainted with some other locals.




We'll keep checking and hopefully 2ANX will turn up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment