Monday 7 July 2014

Rookie mistake!

During last week, I accompanied Matthew Tickner of the RSPB on another visit to Blue Circle Island in Larne Lough. We were heading out to check for Roseate Tern chicks as, in return for being given permission to ring gulls on the reserve, I am the designated ringer for any Rosey Terns on the islands in Larne Lough. Not a bad compromise, eh?!

Unsurprisingly, things are starting to quieten down as the breeding season edges towards an end. The number of Black-headed Gulls has dropped with only a couple of hundred birds hanging around. There were plenty of large young standing around on the rock armour which surrounds the man-made island.

As we approached the island, we heard the unmistakable "kriack" of an adult Roseate Tern, so upon landing we quickly got to work checking nest boxes. Unfortunately we didn't locate and chicks, but we'll head out in a week or so for another check.

I took advantage of being on the island and had a quick walk around and ringing a couple of late black-headed gull chicks.

I also managed to catch a young Mediterranean Gull and, knowing that Sean Kingston had sent me some of his Med Gull colour-rings up from Dublin, I was looking forward to telling him he had another bird to add to his database. Imagine my disappointment when I checked my bag and realised I'd left the colour-rings at home! Doh!
 
A sheepish email apology was swiftly dispatched, sorry Sean!

One of the adult Med Gulls which breed on Blue Circle Island
 

No comments:

Post a Comment